Following the restoration of the FC–2W–2, the Museum staff restoredseveral engines and a D.H.82C wing for an intended structural exhibit.However, when the Aeronca C–2 arrived at Rockcliffe in January 1967,its diminutive size and unusual design aroused the interest of the RCAF pilots who were preparing to fly some of the Museum's aircraft. They asked if it could be flown also.
The aircraft had to be test flown about the end of May, and a quick check of the airframe indicated that it was possible, although time was short for the work that would have to be completed. Because it involved only recovering and minor repairs, it is probably more realistic to describe the job, like the later one on the Sopwith Pup, as a recovering and reconditioning operation rather than a full-fledged restoration.
The very simple cockpit of the Aeronca C-2.
The original CF-AOR, the first Aeronca C-2 to come to Canada, is shown in its second finish scheme at Cartierville, Québec, in 1935.
The two major questions concerned the streamlined flying and landing wires and the Bosch magneto. The wires had to be made to order in the United States and the delivery date left no margin for any delay The RCAF kindly took care of the magneto, sending it to Germany for overhaul, and it arrived back in good time.
The minor repairs required to the airframe caused no difficulty. It was decided to finish the aircraft as the first Aeronca C–2 that came to Canada but in its more interesting second finish scheme; fortunately its civil registration was not in use and was obtained. The work was completed in good time but the streamlined wires were delayed, arriving just in time to permit a test flight on June 9, the day before the Air Force Day display.Back to top